37 Random Facts About China
China is a land of enchantment with diverse culture, geography, food and lifestyle. China, the world’s biggest country has some of the crazy stories that will blow your mind. So, here are some of the interesting random facts about China to satisfy your wanderlust.
1. Puyi, the last Chinese emperor became a leader when he was just three years old.
2. The Chinese calendar is the oldest surviving calendar system in the world. This lunar calendar originated in 2600 B.C.
3. China invented ice cream in 2000 B.C. when they put together soft milk and rice mixture in the snow.
4. Tea was first discovered in China in 2737 B.C. by emperor Shennong when a tea leaf accidentally fell into his boiling water.
5. According to legends, silk was first discovered in 3000 B.C. by Lady Xi Ling Sui when a silkworm cocoon accidentally dropped into her hot tea. The Romans knew China as ‘Serica’ which means ‘Land of Silk’. However, Chinese kept the process of silk making very secretive and anyone caught smuggling silkworm eggs or cocoons outside of China was straight away put to death.
6. Chinese invented kites around 3,000 years ago and was used to frighten enemies in battle.
7. Chinese invented toilet paper in the 1300s and back then only emperors had the privilege to use them.
8. Ancient China was a land of invention. It was technologically, mathematically and scientifically advance country than most others. Few great inventions that took place in China include paper-making, printing, the magnetic compass and gunpowder, among many other things.
9. China is recognised as one of the four great ancient civilizations of the world. There is proof of written records dating back to 4,000 years. Moreover, it is world’s longest continuous civilization.
10. China was the first country to implement ‘One Child Per Couple’ policy in 1979. The policy came into effect to curb the issue of rapidly expanding population.
11. Soccer originated in China around 2200 years ago.
Geographical Random Facts About China
12. China is the fourth largest country in the world by area. It has an area of 9,598,094 square kilometre.
13. The highest mountain in the world, Mount Everest is in China. The highest peak of the mountain is as high as 29,000 feet.
14. Over 50% of the entire world’s pig population is in China.
15. Hong Kong has the highest number of skyscrapers than any other city in the world.
17. Owing to growing industrialization, air pollution in China is rising day by day. Out of world’s 10 most polluted cities, four cities are located in China.
18. China is one of the biggest consumers of tobacco in the world. About 275.9 million adults and 8.937 million children consume tobacco daily.
19. China produces over 60% of world’s cement, thereby bagging the title of being the highest cement producer in the world.
20. The Chinese language consists of 40,000 characters, out of which learning 2,000 are essential for basic literacy.
21. Despite being the fourth largest country in size, entire China has only one time zone.
22. Due to the time difference, China is often a day ahead of the United States.
23. China’s population is 1.379 billion, the largest of any country in the world.
24. Out of 1.379 billion people living in China, over 5% of them are Christians. Experts say, by 2030 China will have the largest population of Christians in the entire world.
25. There are more Christians living in China than in Italy and the Vatican City combined.
26. 92% of the Chinese population is comprised of Han Chinese.
27. China’s nominal GDP is $11.2 trillion which is the second highest in the world.
28. China’s per capita GDP is $8,123.18 which is the 71st highest in the world.
29. With impressive GDP growth on a regular basis, China is one of the fastest growing economies in the world.
30. The official currency in China is Renminbi Yuan (CNY).
Other Random Facts About China
31. Over 3,000 websites are banned in China. Some of these include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube among many others.
32. China cuts down 20 million trees each year to meet the country’s demand for 80 billion disposable chopsticks annually.
33. Pork is the main ingredient in Chinese cuisines. An average person consumes approximately 86 pounds of pork annually.
34. The amount of instant noodles consumption in China could feed the entire European continent’s dinner for 52 days.
35. The Forbidden City, which is a palace in Beijing comprises of around 9,000 rooms.
36. A developer in China built a 57-story high skyscraper in just 19 days. It has 800 apartments and other office space for 4,000 people.
37. China’s Shanghai Tower is the second tallest building in the world with an elevation of 2,073 feet.
After learning these amazing random facts about China, a little show off is not harmful!
Other Country Facts – 41 Random Facts About Morocco